Here we are going to introduce you to a new vegetable soup recipe with fresh veggies and flavors. This vegetable soup is very tasty, healthy and nutritious. You can have it in several ways as a snack or as a starter for a perfect lunch or as a main dish for a dinner.
Let’s look at how we can summarize the total consuming for this meal
- Preparation time 10 minutes
- Cook time 18 minutes
- Total time 28 minutes
Ingredients for soup for 14 servings
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 whole bell peppers chopped
- 1 can of 28 oz. low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon each thyme & basil
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
What is the flavor we are going to add?
To make the vegetable soup tastier we add beef broth, but if you prefer only the vegetable taste, you can use homemade vegetable broth or any other stock. To enhance the taste we can add canned tomatoes (with juice) as well.
Let’s make the vegetable soup!
- First we need to wash and let the water drain out from all vegetables and other needy ingredients.
- Then chop all veggies into small size slices and segregate the veggies according to the cook time. Finally the preparation is done.
- Then segregate all vegetables according to the cooking time, the sequence of cooking is the “things that take longer to become well-cooked need to go in first in the list “. As an example, carrots need to go first, cabbage needs to go next , at the same time veggies like zucchini should go last to the soup.
We can simply summarize the soup making steps as below with timing.
- Take a big pot and cook onion & garlic with water or /oil over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Then add carrots first, cabbage & green beans next and cook the mixture another 5 minutes.
- Then add bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and add salt, pepper and other herbs and cook for another 6-7 minutes
- Add in zucchini & broccoli and boil gently for additional 5 minutes or until all items are softened.
- Remove bay leaves after few minutes
What If your cooker is slow?
It is simple , all preparations are very similar to the above first steps but only you have to cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours or until veggies are tender. It is easy!
What if your cooker is an instant Pot?
First you have to cook onions using the saute mode, and then add all other soup ingredients to the instant pot but ensure you don’t exceed the max line in the pot. Then cook the mixture on high pressure for 6 minutes, let naturally release the pressure after 5 minutes. Now your soup is ready but you cook a little longer if you prefer much softer veggies.
We can make this soup as a main course too!
Sometimes we might want to make this delicious soup as a main course, so to enhance the nutrients as a main meal simply we have to add more proteins in the mixture. We can use below protein sources to the soup.
- Leftover chicken
- Ground turkey or beef
If we need vegetarian proteins like grains, we can use the below items.
- Cooked brown rice
- Whole wheat noodles.
Just try out this soup, you can keep it in the fridge and have it when you need a snack or quick meal with less calories.
What if we need to add more flavors to vegetable soup?
We can replace your normal ingredients with below items to have a changed taste and different experience while having the same combination.
- Can replace canned tomatoes with spicy canned tomatoes
- Add small amount of hot sauce
- New herbs such as basil or cilantro in to soup
- Add a splash of wine or balsamic vinegar
- Mixing Parmesan cheese
How to Freeze?
Bulk cooking is a new trend! This vegetable soup recipe is attractive because you can do bulk cooking on the weekend and can enjoy it throughout the week if you freeze it well. We can separate the soup into single portions and can pack it into freezer bags and keep in the freezer. When you need a snack you can have one portion from the freezer, heat it and can utilize it as a healthy diet.