Do you want to strengthen your family bonds? Here is a magical dessert from Sri Lanka. This magical taste will help to increase the bonds between your children and husband. it takes only a few minutes. You will not miss this in a Sri Lankan wedding lunch buffet. Because this is that much yummy.
- Jaggery 250g
- Thick Coconut milk 1 cup
- 5 eggs
- Cashew (for the dressing) this is optional 50g
- 4 Cardamom pods
- Vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE
- Take your piece of jaggery.
- Grate it using a grater or a knife.
- Put it in to a separate bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and try to liquefy jaggery in it. (make it as a thick paste)
If it is unable to dissolve all the jaggery properly, you can keep it in the cooker for a few minutes and can dissolve it properly in the flame.
- Add coconut milk into the jaggery paste and dissolve the paste in the coconut milk.
- Break the eggs and add 5 eggs into a separate bowl one by one.make sure your eggs are in a good condition. Then add all 5 eggs together.
Do not separate the egg whites and yolks.
- Take a whisk and mix eggs properly. You can do this step using a hand beater too. You can use a fork or a spoon too.
- Add egg mixture into the jaggery and coconut milk bowl.
If you use the cooker for dissolve jaggery, don’t add eggs suddenly. Keep it a few minutes until lower the temperature. Because it happens to boil the eggs if this jaggery and coconut milk mixture is too hot.
- Add crushed cardamoms. (This cardamom powder is used to avoid the smell of the eggs.)
- Finally add vanilla to avoid the smell of the eggs.
- As a final step put cashew nuts on top of the watalappan.
- Don’t forget to cover the bowl with a covering or a foil paper. Because during the steam process there can be water bubbles collected on top of this covering. otherwise these water bubbles are going to mix with the watalappan.
- Steam the pudding properly.
- To make sure whether this watalappan is properly baked, you can insert a skiver inside and the skiver comes out clean then you can realize it is properly steamed.
- Now it is ready to serve.
Normally in Sri Lanka, we put this in the refrigerator, and cool this pudding and serve this to the table. You can steam this using a steamer, pressure cooker or even in the rice cooker.