Learn how to make Spaghetti and meatballs in homemade marinara sauce. We divide the recipe into a few steps as below for easy working! This is the best homemade dish with spaghetti and meatballs in mouthwatering marinara sauce.
Ingredients for Meatballs (makes 22-23 meatballs):
- White bread – 3 slices
- Lean ground beef – 7% to 15% fat content- 1 lb.
- Sweet Ground Italian sausage (casings removed) – 1 lb.
- Use freshly grated parmesan cheese – ¼ cup
- Large eggs – 1
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Salt -1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour -3/4 cup
- Light olive oil -3 tsp
Ingredients for Marinara Sauce:
- Medium yellow onion -1 cup chopped
- Garlic minced -4 cloves
- Crushed tomatoes -2 – 28 Oz cans
- Bay leaves-2
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Basil finely minced-2 tbsp
- Spaghetti – 1 lb
This is how we make meatballs at home.
The secret behind soft meatballs is soft bread. When the soft bread is combined with two types of meats it gives you this delicious taste and softness. Then let’s move into the below method of meat ball preparations.
1. First remove the crust from the bread and chop the bread slices into very small squares and combine the bread pieces with 2/3 cup water and keep aside for 5 minutes to absorb water. Then mash the bread with a fork.
2. Then take a large mixing bowl, add: 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb sweet ground Italian sausage (casings removed), 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 egg and the mashed moist bread paste. Mix until well combined. If you use your clean hands you will get a better mixing here.
3. Then form the mixture into 1 1/2″ size meatballs – you can use an ice cream scoop to get the size and shape. Next roll the meatballs over flour.
4. While the meat balls get ready you can heat a deep, large, heavy pan over medium heat with about 3 Tbsp. of olive oil.
5. When oil is heated properly and ready, add meatballs in batch wise like 5-7 in one time to make sure to fry the meat balls until it becomes browned on all sides (6 min total or 2 min per side). Once meat balls looks good and when you get the mouthwatering smell remove meatballs to a separate dish and keep in a side.
let’s move in to make Marinara Sauce:
How to Make Marinara Sauce? Make sure you use the same pan used to make meatballs
- Heat the skillet pan over medium heat; add some olive oil into the pan with salt, 1 cup chopped onion. While adding all, stir frequently until the onion gets soft and golden , to the same paste add 4 cloves minced garlic and stir for more minutes to heat.
- Then add 2 cans of crushed tomatoes in the same and 2 bay leaves. Then make sure the flame is right to give light boiling to the mixture while stirring to make sure it’s actually boiling and hot and not just letting it over boil.
- Then it is time to add meatballs back into the pan with tomato sauce, make sure you partially cover the meat balls and cook it at a gentle heat for 30 min, turning the meatballs to every side from time to time.
- Keep the flame until meatballs get tender and sauce to be thickened. Just before cooking is done, stir in chopped fresh basil and add salt and pepper to taste to the mixture.
Cooking pasta is easy!!
- You have to cook pasta according to the package given instructions until it comes to the level of softness that everyone in your family likes! Once cooking is done drain the water and take pasta for mixing. You can use a serving dish and put the cooked pasta into it.
Final step! – Hear it come the Spaghetti and Meatballs dish with marinara sauce
- Then pour sauce and meatballs over spaghetti and mix softly all over. Then to serve in family-style, transfer the cooked mixture to a large platter, you can finally garnish the platter with more parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
- Finally here comes the tasty food and you can serve the platter in hot!